Taken from Gettysburg National Military Park's blog: From the Fields of Gettysburg
Click here to see the unforgettable video of the demolition.
What’s involved in future phases?
- Reconfigure and reduce the size of the existing Cyclorama building parking lot in order to rehabilitate Ziegler’s Ravine.
- Partially rehabilitate historic grades of Ziegler’s Ravine by regrading a 350 feet section of roadway to follow the Battle Era topography of Ziegler’s Ravine.
- Rebuild the 1863 historic fencing within the study area.
- Rehabilitate the historic grades of Cemetery Ridge in the footprint and immediate vicinity of the Cyclorama building.
- Rebuild the commemorative era sidewalk that was displaced by the Cyclorama building.
- Monuments displaced by the Cyclorama building would be replaced in their historic footprint. These are the 5th US Artillery Battery F tablet, the 90th Pa. Infantry monument, the 88th Pa. Infantry monument, 1st Mass. Sharpshooters position marker, and the 12th Mass. Infantry monument.
Additional changes in the future also include removing the old Visitor Center parking lot. Because we anticipate needing all this parking during the 150th anniversary year at Gettysburg, we are postponing the landscape work until 2014 at the earliest. Whether the work takes place in 2014 or afterward is also dependent on additional fundraising by the Gettysburg Foundation. By: Katie Lawhon, Management Assistant, March 14, 2013